Friday, October 3, 2014

#2 Dictionary Exercise

So this is my 2nd exercise from Ms.Sally about "Online Dictionary"
I was told to read Walk or cycle for a "happier commute" from BBC News and find 2 words/phrases that are new to me.

So here's what I found from reading the article :
1. crucial (adjective)
  • something that is crucial is extremely important, because everything else depends on it
  • example: This aid money is crucial to the government's economic policies.

  
2. well-being (noun)
[uncountable]
  • general health and happiness
  • example: We try to ensure the well-being of our employees.
In my own opinion, using these kind of Online Dictionary is making us more convenient to search for any words that we're confused to.
I mean convenient is because when you're not at home, you can easily search for words that you don't understand just by entering those online dictionary website.
I also prefer for English-English dictionary which is also called by "Monolingual Dictionary".
monolingual dictionary is more specific than bilingual dictionary, the specific that I mean is just more understandable than the bilingual one. Sometimes, the bilingual one would make you kinda misunderstand for what you're looking for. 
Of course it needs more skill to use the monolingual one, because if you're really don't have the very basic skill of English, you might don't understand what the dictionary is saying.

That's just my opinion about dictionary, feel free to comment if you're not agree with my opinion. 
Thanks for reading, btw.


1 comment:

  1. Quite agree with what you said, Catherine. Sometimes, there is no one-to-one translation, and yes, the translation of the bilingual dictionary could be confusing.

    ReplyDelete